Friday, February 1, 2013

The Anti-Spoon Feed Teacher


Admit it.  We all do it.

Due to our shitty education system, we teachers are most of the time forced to spoon feed our students, without giving them the opportunity to actually use their brains and learn.

I had this epiphany last year when I was handling my debate team.

And now, I am going to practice what I preach.

This year, I was randomly selected to take on the choral speaking competition.

Right after the meeting, I went back home and started googling for ideas on writing scripts.

Then I thought, fuck it, I'm not doing this.  The students have to do this on their own, if they ever want to learn something.  Even if it means producing crappy scripts and putting us on the number one spot as losers.

Some may think I'm an irresponsible teacher.  That I'm actually just plain lazy.  Yes, I admit it.  I have so many other better things to do than write a 1Malaysia-friendly script.  But it's a win-win situation.  I get to spend more time on 9gag, and my students get to learn how to write scripts.

Of course, I will guide them throughout the process, and I will dedicate my time to be there every practice, but hell, I'm not just going to 'give' them a script.

Also, starting this year, as the head teacher of the English Language Society, I give full responsibility to the president and the committee members to plan meeting activities and execute them.  Because I want them to learn to be independent, resourceful and to be leaders.  Because I remembered during my school days, students did everything on their own.

Of course, we teachers will facilitate and help them in every way we can.

Unless every meeting turns into a disaster, we'll be there to clean up their mess.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is, we should give students some autonomy.  This does not mean we let go of our responsibilities completely.  It means we have to teach them how to catch a fish, instead of just giving them the damn fish.  Or to stick to the title metaphor, teach them how to use a spoon to eat food instead of shoving a spoonful of food into their mouth.

Honestly, I'm dying to write an awesome choral speaking script now and plan awesome meeting activities for my English Language Society.

But this is something I have to do, or at least try.

To be the Anti-Spoon Feed Teacher.


Any teachers with me on this?  

4 comments:

chegu carol said...

I think that's the way to go. Especially if your students are those yang talented and creative ni..let them get their ideas rolling, tinggal ko kasi bagus here and there saja kan...lagi puas hati bah.

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@carol: yes! and lagi senang kerja kan. hehe

A.G.P said...

i agree with u! dont feed the students! :D

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@A.G.P: Yes! :D