Saturday, January 5, 2013

Back To Work, Angry


...As it is shittier than last year.

Damn apocalypse should've happened.

I have more classes this year, but my kids seem lovely so far.  Note SEEM and SO FAR.  So I'm not gonna bitch about how I hate teaching more classes 'coz well, that's my job.

I'm just angry at some decisions made and how we, the modus operandi of the school are being treated.

One of the new changes is that now, extra curricular activities and meetings will only be done on Saturdays. Saturdays.  Saturdays.  Sweet, beautiful, precious Saturdays.  Okay I get that by doing this, teaching and learning periods won't be disturbed, and it will solve the problem of teacher-less classes during long meetings.  But looking at the statistics of other top schools in my town, they rarely (or maybe never) have classes on Saturdays and yet their academic achievement is better than us.  I wonder what is their non-Saturday working secret.

Also, we're back on the "Konsep Guru Penyayang" bandwagon.  What loving monstrosity we have to do?  Put on a fake smile and greet our students lovingly every morning at the main gate.  I wish my teachers had done that for us to show that they love us so much that they would rush to sacrifice their morning time to greet us instead of spending that precious, limited time to prepare breakfast for their own children from their own bloody womb.  If they had done that, I would have been the fucking Queen of England already by now, and the rest of us would be saving children in China from child labour.

Okay, I know that some teachers have to go through a lot more fucked up things/rules than what I'm going through in my school now.  And I know the administration means well, and all of these changes and extra work is for the good of our future generation.  But one question, whenever we want to improve something, especially when it come to education, why must we ADD more work?  When that is the main problem, teachers have too many unnecessary work to be done to focus on their actual job, teaching?  Why don't we ever have any cutbacks on the trivial things?  Let me answer that for you: 'Coz our education system is just fucking awesome.

I also learned something at the beginning of this new year.

See, we had a meeting this morning (NOTE TODAY IS A SATURDAY AND I WOKE UP IRRITATED).  I don't know if this is a common workplace issue, but I learned that if you have a problem, or you question a certain dumbfuck action and you voice it out, hoping that a solution would be discussed and made (you know, because it's a motherfucking meeting), your message will be computed as: "I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS BECAUSE I'M LAZY AND IRRESPONSIBLE."  And when you get a respond which has nothing to do with solving the issue, or most likely to get shot down for nothing, you'll be like:


In the end, nothing gets resolved, and you are angrier than before.  It's like when people tell you to say your true feelings, but when you do, they think it's stupid anyway.  So I learned now, why bother?  From now on I'll just let anything that upsets me eat me inside.  I'll just not give a fuck for something that I think is stupid, or doesn't contribute in any learning for my kids.

Also, I learned that whenever students fuck up, it's always the teachers fault.  We don't have to teach kids to be accountable for their actions.  When they fail, it's our fault as well.  It's our fault that when we want to have awesome fun lessons with them, the school lacks resources and facilities and that we have to go back to chalk-and-talk.  If they fail in life, it's not their fault, not their friends, not their parents, not the education system.  IT'S YOU, THE TEACHER.

What a great way to start the year, aye?

Happy working teacher friends.  Let's hope there will be no table flips and WoW-type freakouts this year.

9 comments:

Caroline Lim said...

Haha..happy working teacher Amanda!! Thank to our pricipal...our saturday's still a beautiful and saturday.. bt yeah..we have a replacement school day on saturday several times.. sy dgr ada pekeliling .."guru tidak boleh menjeling pelajar" sempena guru penyayang. Waaa..penyayangnya guru2 malaysia. :/

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@Chee: haha..shit jg tu pekeliling tu. pa kita mau buat sama mata kita pun ada peraturan. punya la! mari la kita sama2 jadi guru penyayang :P

Olivia Chin said...

Hi there :)

Not only in school have those 'kind' of 'clever' minded people. bikin panas all the time. dont ask ba kan it in the end, kita juga yg dikasi salah.

did you know about 'ahkamkoko' blog? Dont know why iklan bout him. Sebab dia handsome kali.

:P

Meitzeu said...

LOL.

Take a deep breath and happy working. :)

mt
Meitzeu @ Blog

Meitzeu @ Facebook

Meitzeu @ Twitter

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@Olivia Chin: Hi! Yeah, guess it's a universal thang...Hm, was it advertised in my blog? Probably 'coz he's a teacher too. haha

@Meitzeu: Sigh. let's switch places :p. thanks!

Armstrong said...

Wa Saturdays only ka the extra curricular activities. Hard la. Like for my school, it's after the morning session. Stayback la urang bilang. He only had one session juga. Sana La Salle KK sia sikul.

Hmm shot down just like that ka. Damn. Maybe you can put as many comments as possible in the suggestion box? Biar anonymous. And biar penuh tu inbox.

Happy Wednesday btw.

P.S Kalo ko masi reply pendek, sia gigit ko. JK :D

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@Armstrong: hehehe...kena warning ah awal2 kalo reply pendek2...k, sy akan cuba :P. And La Salle is still one of the best school, kan? Nda payah mau buat extra shit on Saturdays. Yeah, I should suggest a suggestion box instead. THE MOTHER OF ALL SUGGESTIONS. Long enough ka? :P

Zen said...

I dont actually mind if we have to work from 6am to 6pm, but taking weekends away is just...well, it just could the point when someone could really snap on the inside.

I guess this issue of giving teachers more work to do with the notion that teachers are government "servant" who seems to have too much free time, disproportionate to their payroll - which a lot of disgruntled employed individuals green all over.

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@Zen: Exactly. I don't mind working on weekdays but to work on Saturdays? Like, wtf? Tell the other gov servants of other sectors to work on Saturdays, I'm sure there'll be a riot in no time.