Wednesday, July 18, 2012

2 Years Old!


Who? Me!

Today I turn 2 as a teacher in service.

Two years ago, I dreaded my job.  I hated my unwilling to learn kids.  I cracked my head all the time to figure out the best way to teach them.  I was overwhelmed by the many non-teaching assignments given.  And I badly, so badly wanted to get out of the system by pursuing my Masters.

Then a year ago, I learned a whole lotta shit.  Good ones and bad ones.

And today, I'm proud to say that I'm getting better at this job.

In fact, this year, I didn't get depressed or stressed when my whole class failed or have a bunch workload to get done in a short amount of time.

I just accept things as they are, come what may.

Kids being a pain? Demerit their asses off.  Kids fail? Whatever, that's nothing much I can do about it when they have the proficiency of a 7 year old.  Kids write bad essays? Make a video out of it.  Too much work? Go on overdrive mode.  Meetings?  Play with tablet.  Problem solved.

Only yesterday I caught two kids lying on the floor in the Bilik Gerakan instead of sitting on the chairs making me think they were absent.  Instead of wasting my breath on them (well, I did scream at them when I first found out), I think of horrible ways to get back at them.  Will execute evil plan the next time I have class with them.

That's how I do.

With this new set of mentality that I have, I am less angrier, and more contented with my life.  Notice that I have less emo/angry posts?

I never thought I'd say this but, I no longer have the strong urge to pursue my Masters.  I think that I could say a few more years in school before going to a higher institution.  Which I heard isn't a walk in the park either.

Also, I have forged an amazing relationship with my colleagues.  If I ever get transferred, I wonder if I'd be able to have colleagues as cool as them.  This is one of the reasons I could stay where I am right now, no matter how shitty my school can get.  There are of course, horrible, horrible colleagues, but I have my awesome ones to bitch about them with.

All the cliches are true: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, experience is the best master, yada yada.  Well, I can only think of that two for now.

So yeah, to all those new teachers who are frustrated with your job as a teacher, know that it gets better. 

I would also like to thank all the experienced teachers who have consoled me through my tough times.  You know who you are.

I'm a two year old teacher and damn, life did get better.

Happy 2nd Anniversary to me and to all my friends! :D

But...



6 comments:

chegu carol said...

Happy teaching anniversary manda!

bah hi-5 kita, the first quote you mentioned here is my mantra when things get tough or when they don't go according to what ive planned.

Amanda Christine Wong said...

Kay: Thaaanks! sama la jg kita :D

ca-ii-ya said...

Haha. Happy Anniversary! :P Hey, don't give up. Continue your studies and become a lecturer. How cool is that?! :)

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@Syahirah: THANKS! Yeah, I will. My desire is definitely still there :D

moses said...

thanks for writing on behalf of me...reading yr posts has been such a therapy...bibliotheraphy!happy anniversary

Amanda Christine Wong said...

@Moses: My pleasure. Happy anniversary!