Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros & Cons of Exam Month


It's that time of the year again.  I was really looking forward to it.

But as I stared into space, stood and occassionally walked across the classroom with my 3" pumps for 2 bleeding hours, invigilating an exam class which did not provide me with a chair, I thought of reasons why I should hate it instead.  This was when my low battery phone didn't allow me to play Sudoku.  This was 15 minutes after the exam started.  So yes.  Almost went out of my mind just now.

So I have thought of the pros and cons of exam month for teachers - so that I can decide whether I should love it or hate it.

'Teacher' as defined in this post is "a person who has one year teaching experience, absolutely driven and has full of ideas, but breaks down when it comes to teaching demotivated kids with zero-basic English."

PROS:
1. No lesson planning, no teaching.
2. Will have lots of free time.
3. Sneaking out is almost legal.
4.  It's the end of the semester.  Time to sit back and see how much you have sowed.

CONS:
1. Invigilating exams is a bleeding bore.
2.  Marking papers after exams could lead to suicide.
3. May need to bring work home due to required dead lines.
4.  It's the end of the semester.  Time to be depressed again seeing how much you have actually successfully sown.

Damnit - it's tied. It's a love-hate relationship for me then.



So teachers.  Do you like Exam Month?

8 comments:

chegu carol said...

Because I don't have to face 'where is x? here it is' kind of answer when checking exam papers...so no, i have no problem with exam month. but i do feel for you secondary teachers as I feel for my peer teachers who teach language subjects :)

Lizeewong said...

I love exam month. Yes, the invigilation is painfully boring. And yes the marking is a misery but after all that suffering you are FREE!! For 2 months, that is :D

Amanda Christine Wong said...

Carol: ya kan..sometimes i feel like just teaching geography or moral..haha

lizee: oh totally! in fact, baru today when i enter to teach a non-exam class i was like, woah, how long have i not been teaching already? :D

TaQuiLa said...

ehiks..sorry to say manda, since I am a remedial teacher, so exam weeks are not in my list..i meant, i'm not involve in any preparation, except menjaga la :)

so yeah..i really2 like exam weeks! sa bleh main sims 3 lagi di laptop semasa menjaga..heeheh..

Amanda Christine Wong said...

sheila: BUYUUUK!

Joan said...

boo..for invigilation. i hate invigilating too.

and mau marking paper paling sengsara especially kalau one class ada 40 over students and you have like 3 or 4 scripts to mark . @~@

v said...

I never liked invigilating. :/

It's excruciatingly boring.

Amanda Christine Wong said...

Joan: ergh, tell me bout it!

V: very much :/