Friday, March 11, 2011

Holidays are here, but not for Japan


After all the school related carnage I went through for the past few weeks, the day that I have been waiting, yearning and thirsting for has finally arrived.

HOLIDAY!

I have never needed a break so bad.  Wait, hold that thought. Hm. I always needed a break so bad.  Okay, forget I said that.

But anyway, I do feel like I am able to breath out, every ounce of musle in my body could relax and my mind could just stop, stop spinning.

For the past few weeks, I have done more things that I could have ever done in my entire life.  Wait, hold that thought.  Alright! I'm exaggerating! So effing what. 

I feel like I'm Superwoman.  I guess every teacher should have the right to feel like a loaded god complex.

And I would like to go on and on and on about how difficult my life is, as intended for this post, but news broke on how Japan was hit by an 8.9 magnitude earthquake and THE most terrifying tsunami caught on live camera, ever.  Looking at how lives were completely wiped off from the surface of the earth, survivors reduced from agricultural giants to nothingness, and the whole Japan, the most highly technologically advanced country is destroyed - physically and economically.  Last I check, their oil refinery is still burning down with a domino effect.

It humbled me.  Slapped me first, then humbled me.  I'd pop a champaign to celebrate my holiday (yes, that's how badly I need it), but it just doesn't feel right when people not far from here are dying, and those who are not dead are digging out bodies of their loved ones from their premature graves.  I guess being a teacher has made me more empathetic.  Or maybe 'coz it's Lent.

I'd jump and shout for joy for my one week break, but I'd rather tune in to CNN to get some updates.  And to find out whether Philipines would suffer the wrath of nature as predicted.  And you know what that means for us Sabahans. 

My heart goes out for victims of the loss, and those in countries which are predicted to get hit next, especially New Zealand, who is just getting on their feet and Indonesia, whom I believe is truly traumatised. 


Let's be nice for once and remember them in our prayers, shall we?

8 comments:

kei-1 said...

and I'm still waiting for my friends to update me about their status....

AnnieMing said...

God bless the all the vics in Japan.. My prayers go to them..

Santafire said...

I really wish they could evac to anoth country. I wanna bring my friends here safe >_<! so worried~

Amanda Christine Wong said...

K: Oh yeah, u actually have friends there. Hope they're okay.

Annie: Yeah :(

Santafire: Oh, you have friends there too. Hope they're okay too...

gunsirit said...

I feel bad about the earthquake in Japan esp after the devastating EQ in New Zealand..

Amanda Christine Wong said...

gunsirit: me too :(

Mimi said...

My heart really goes to the people of Japan and everywhere around the world who have to face this disaster, yes it's humbling... :(

Amanda Christine Wong said...

glad it's over...sigh.