Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stress vs Boredom


I thought quite a lot about this after being pointed out by The Gallivanter some while ago.

Stress makes your brain wanna explode.

And boredom drives you nuts.

I've been a teacher for a month, and I dare to say that I can get pretty bored when I'm not teaching. Since one of my classes is taken by a practical teacher, I have a lot of time to spare. Even after marking worksheets and updating files, I'm still left with a lot of time to spare. To the point I'm counting every hour till punch out.

And it drives me nuts.

I know I should feel blessed 'coz a lot of teachers out there are burned out by the end of the day.

Maybe I got used to being a zombie during my teaching practice that now I'm a real teacher doing what real teachers actually do (e.g. gossip, marketing, bargaining, browsing catalogs - in which I don't do) I feel...empty.

But still, I'm not complaining. I have books to keep me company. And perhaps a PSP when the moolah rolls in.

So would I rather be stressed or bored?

I'd choose stress.

At least my brain is working. Hard.

If I'm bored, my brain suffers from inactivity.

This guy is the testimony of what boredom could do to you.

ChristiaanVanVuuren:
AFTER 55 DAYS IN QUARANTINE -
I was eventually let out of hospital on the 2nd Jan, but then brought back in on the 18th Jan and diagnosed with a more serious form of TB... As a result, I have been back in quarantine since the 18th Jan, and all up now I have spent 55 days on the inside of a single room in hospital... This is starting to take it's toll on my mental stability, and this song is about the impact (or lack thereof) it has had so far.


Ironically, he makes being bored fun though.

11 comments:

Daniel Chiam said...

I too prefer stress. Stress = busy = actually doing something. bored = emptiness = eating from the inside. haha

Amanda Christine Wong said...

daniel: exactly.

sHeiLa said...

wait for 2011's schedule..heheheee

Mimi said...

I hate both! Can I just be somewhere having fun? Hehehe

chegu carol said...

i want a lil bit of both. ^_^

Amanda Christine Wong said...

sheila: uh...that can wait? :D

Mimi: why not, right? hee

carol: tamaha XD

Kelvin said...

I dun won't both. Is there a 3rd option?

Uncle Lee said...

Hello Amanda, I was once a teacher, albeit only a relief teach when the women teachers get into the family way.
It was after my Form 6, earning some spare cash then.

I guess from what you mentioned, this my personal opinion....it's up to the individual what and how he or she approaches teaching....or being a teacher.
Being a teacher is one of Life's highest calling, besides being a soldier.
Thru your hands comes future leaders, or whatever.

Remember, you never know or can foresee which of your pupils may, or might one day be the PM, or a World renown surgeon, an actress, a great soldier, or a famous business man....

And which student does not remember his or her teacher who inspired him or her?
I do....but not because they inspired me, they told me "you got no hope! No future"!

And my mother till today I think holds the record for most letters received, and not one praised me....all similar to above of, 'you son has no future'...ha ha.

It is up to you to make your work, teaching interesting, not the students. They look up, depend on you.
Take it as your life's challenge....you can, and you will...even a prisoner in solitary confinement found something entertaining or creative.

And believe you me, Amanda....YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED by your students, of who or what you are. Or were.

A good teacher is like a candle, it consumes itself to light the way for others. Good teachers are costly, but bad teachers cost more.

And the mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.
The great teacher inspires.

The best teacher is the one who suggests rather than dogmatizes, and inspires his listener with the wish to teach himself.

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in his, her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image.
And YOU can do it. I know you can, Amanda.

Have a nice day, best wishes, Lee.

Amanda Christine Wong said...

Kelvin: uh, sleep?

Uncle Lee: Wow, that's inspiring. Thanks a lot :). Yeah, my father had a teacher who told him he is a failure - and it still rings in his ears, though the teacher is dead and gone. I'll always remember not to say such stuffs to my kids, lest i want them to remember me for the things they shouldnt. Thanks again :)

Lizeewong said...

Stress gives me wrinkles so if I had to choose, I'd take boredom. Hehe..Pemalas kan :P

Amanda Christine Wong said...

Lizee: wow, that actually makes sense!