Wednesday, March 17, 2010

13 Photos You Should Not Have On Your Facebook If Your Boss, Colleagues, Parents and Students (if you're a teacher) Are On Your Friends List


If you follow my blog, you'd know that I have two Facebook profiles. The other profile is for my students or teachers in school who want to add me. Because for my life, I cannot, I repeat, I cannot let them especially my colleagues see what I'm up to outside my school life. For those who know me personally, you'd know I'd be shoving shit on my face if I add them on my primary profile.

I read an interesting post by Chegu Carol, and she brought light to this matter of who should and should not be added on your Facebook.

Now what if your boss personally sent you a friend request. If you don't approve it, you're screwed. And if you do, well, you're screwed either way.

And your parents. Lord, the parents! It's like having the Censorship Board on your Facebook. And also the constant hovering on your profile, asking time and time again what you are up to, trying to 'keep in touch'. Or waiting for you to post a shout out like 'scrapped my knee today :(' so that they can shower you with their love. Publicly. So if you're wondering, NO, I did not approve my mom's request. No matter how hard she begged. She's in my other profile. The good girl one.

Teachers and students. Once they see your Facebook, all your teacherness that they see in class every day is stripped away. Unless if you're a total nerd, that wouldn't make much any difference. However, I personally think that it is okay to let students see the other side of you. Minus your semi naked photo-whoring photos. HOWEVER, it is NOT okay for other teachers, especially the senior ones to see the party animal side of you. Sungguh tidak memartabatkan profesion keguruan (so not dignifying the teaching profession). Also, you might get transferred. 'Coz you are tainting the school's image and you are a big bad nasty influence to your young and impressionable students.

So what do we do? Do we approve their friend request or not?

I give you here my friends, a guide to help you decide.

These are the 13 types of photos you should not have on your FB if you decide to approve your boss, colleagues, parents or students (if you're a teacher) friend request.

1. Photos with booze

It screams alcoholic and irresponsibility.

2. Clubbing photos

If you don't do your work on time, you can get hell for this. And teachers, what kind of teachers are you?! This is blasphemy!

3. Party photos

Simply says PARTY ANIMAL.

4. Wasted-looking photos

Your boss will never believe your 'migraine' excuse anymore.

5. Suspicious looking photos of substance abuse

Substance abuse is a serious matter. Regardless whether you did it or not. Photos CAN exaggerate.

6. Public display affection photos


"Are you married? You're not? Why aren't you married? When are you getting married?!"

7. Suspicious homosexual photos


"Gasp! What will people say?! You should get married to that guy before people starts talking!"

8. Holiday photos overload


A huge no brainer giveaway for your 'grandma-passed-away-one-week-holiday-excuse'.

9. Photos with sexual innuendos

Two words: Disciplinary. Action.

10. Sexed-up photos
Circulation will happen. Then photoshopping. Then another new round of circulation. Either the school will go down with you, or you'll get fired. And never get hired. 'Cept for a whole different industry.

11. Photoshoot photos
Having another job aside your primary job is bad. If you're working for a company, they might think your overdue report is caused by your other commitments. If you're a teacher, the government could seriously fuck you up for cheating on them.

12. Pagent photos

They'll never take you seriously. You're just a walking stick with boobs who think Gandhi is still alive. Plus, if you're a teacher, how can you be taking part in this kind of activity? You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

13. Clearly inappropriate photos



'Nuff said.

So, if you have more than half of these types of photos, better think twice before clicking the 'accept' button. And if you're in a profession like mine where you're under public scrutiny and keeping up the role-model-with-rigid morals appearance are top priority, you better open up another account.

And I know some of my students are reading this. Fuck it. Girls, now you know why I can't add you on my primary account. For now.

17 comments:

zewt said...

shite, i cant figure out which one is you in the pageant photo.

Amanda Christine Wong said...

zewt: hah! guess :P

♥ AnnieMing ♥ said...

Zewt: 2nd from left.. :D

DierdreTheseira said...

alamak,..6 out of 13..hahaha! okay lah tu...

Rungitom said...

You got it all XD

Anonymous said...

hahahah...i always enjoying every bit of your blogs! By the way all your blog are making sense and that's reality in fact! Keep it up!

Santafire said...

or maybe not having fb would do the trick.

sHeiLa said...

so very damn true manda!

kekekekeee,,FB now is everywhere..it's like a must gadget for everyone, the teachers as well.

When I went to a seminar/workshop, they will took photos and all i can hear was 'mo letak di fb..' FB here..there..hahaa

(I feel it's not exciting anymore)

Amanda Christine Wong said...

Annie Ming: kantoi!

Diedre Theseira: Less than half? XD

Rungitom: and that is why i have another account. :D

Anonymous: Hehe. just speaking my mind :D. thanks for dropping by!

Santafire: but that's almost impossible, right?

sHeiLa: hehe..cikgu2 ba yg malar berfacebook (mcm sendiri bukan cigu)...haha

Wiskies said...

oh yeah I never approved my boss, family members even some collegues for the friend request in my fb account until I resigned. I censored my uploaded photos somehow, my friends are tagging me from their albums! oh god.. honestly I hate taking photos in the club. for me what was happening there is ONLY THERE.

MeMeR said...

tHANK gOD!!!HAHAA

Amanda Christine Wong said...

debrajill: HI! thanks for dropping by :D. OMG, that is SO true. They'll be like, "u did what?!" @_@

Wiskies: now that is smart! i plan to approve my students only when im done with my practical. then u better untag those photos, fast!

MeMer: for??

debrajill said...

Hi HI~ just dropping by~ Loves your blog~ yay!~ the photo is totally NOT to have in your FB if approving yeah, boss and parents, or even auntie2 or uncle2 because you surely kena tembak by them or they will tell your parents~ sigh..even how grown up u are, still a lil baby to these ppl..;)

Jessica Lyne Andrew said...

I'm super paranoid about the type of photos I upload online, or pictures of me uploaded by other people. When you have relatives, ex-students, and senior teachers on your friend list, this is bound to happen, but no matter what, we always have to be careful with whatever we post on FB, u never know where it might end up ~shudders~

Daniel Chiam said...

Haha I really love this post ^^ :P

Bro Nudist said...

LOL! This is good one! May I suggest No.14..."Nude photos that clearly identify you"...hahah. Cheers!

Amanda Christine Wong said...

Jess: right?! there's just too many stories about the evils that FB caused. and like, it could happen to anyone of us. especially when there's people out there who out for our blood.

Daniel: haha...take my advice!

Bro Nudist: haha! for example, tattooed name!