Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Low Down on Pussy Town


Ok, before there's a misunderstanding, I'm referring to Kuching, Sarawak. Pussy cat, get it? Not that kind of pussy...sorry pervs.

we is taking ova ur city

First of all, upon arriving Kuching International Airport, I couldn't help but thinking that the plane that we boarded had made a U turn back to KK International Airport, as the resemblence is uncanny.

The first thing we did was find our pre-booked B&B.

Nomad Bed & Breakfast

I thought I made the right choice when choosing this B&B, for it looks like every tourists who went there seems to be loving the place.

Where the fuck's the door?!

I was dead wrong.

The bathroom has no fucking door! And we still have to pee at the communal bathrooms, 'coz that was it - a shower and uncompleted wall. What were the Mat Salleh's thinking?!

We decided right then on to go lodge hunting. But we still have to sleep on their garish, flowerish bed sheeted bed for the night 'coz we couldn't get a refund.

But at least we spent the next two nights at Singgahsana Lodge. The room and communal bathrooms are such a dream.

Aah...so much better!

Being tourists under budget and putting up in non-bathroom rooms, the most touristy thing we could do was to go to the Sarawak Museum.

Grue-awesome!

And look at weird statues.


Huh?

But the most awesome thing I did at the museum was...

lolwut

Pay the souvenir shop keeper ten bucks to dress me up as an Iban girl! And pretend I can dance their traditional dance!

The next touristy thing to do was of course to go to the Waterfront, and see some old buildings.


Seriously, I won't do this back at my own place

These touristy things are fun, but it gets tiring by the end of the day. And the excitement only lasts until your camera runs out of battery.

So we decided to ditch the touristy stuff, and go shopping instead.

I know there's more shopping malls in KK but...

And guess who I bumped into?

Should've worn my 4" heels...

Sabah's very own beauty queen, Madelyne Nandu and our Miss Earth 2009 representative. And my roomie during my Unduk Ngadau State level days. I just had to mention that :D.

Another less touristy thing that we did while in Kuching is of course...

Ay caramba!

Clubbing!

The club that we hit was Victoria's Arms, at Merdeka Palace Hotel. It was just okay for me - it was full of 'ladies of age' and probably cougars, and a live band entertained us. We just went there for the Ladies' Night free flow. Later on, we went club hopping from Piccadilly to Barzing, entering each and every joint at the Travillion.

After an untouristy day, the next day, we decided to go back on being lame tourists who visit zoos too. Yes, we went to the crocodile farm here, Jong's Crocodile Farm to be exact.

rawr?

We all know that a crocodile farm is a place where crocs are taken care of, and where humans can gawk at them. But I didn't think I would see this at their souvenir shop:

R.I.P.

They costs around RM400. I guess they don't bury them crocs when they die. If they have the chance to grow old and die.

While we're at it gawking at animals, my friend suggested to us to go see the orang utans at Semenggoh Wildlife Centre. As if there's no orang utan sanctuary in Sabah...

"Why do they always have to take photos of me eating?!"

And did you know about this?

If there's record on chimpanzees, then why most humans act like one?

Maybe Darwin was almost right. Anyway, I did the most idiotic thing to do when going to a jungle:

Never again...

I swear the going to the wildlife centre thing was an impromptu decision. We were supposed to go to the mall because it was raining earlier. Really!

And it did rained while we trekked up and down the jungle. FML.

Back at our lodge at night, there was an end of year party, up at their rooftop.

Just chillin'...

It was really awesome that our little lodge has those kind of things: free food, free flow and a live band - too cute. I couldn't hang around too long though as I went to meet up with an old friend from my school. I haven't met her for more than five years!

bowling!

The verdict:
  1. A nice place for tourists - lots of touristy places to go.
  2. Love the old, quaint, victorian era buildings scattered here and there.
  3. Transport wise, you really need somebody to bring you around.
  4. Kuching is so clean! As in, you don't see illegal immagrants loitering around. Even the waitress serving your food is a local lass. You don't see that in Sabah. At all.
  5. The people here are so friendly! Maybe 'coz we're Sabahans? You know, they have this neighbourhood-brotherhood kinda feeling.
  6. As for shopping, well, your choices are quite limited. Sabah is more gripped by capitalism. But who goes to Kuching to shop anyway?
  7. The clubs here are definitely very mod, especially at the Travillion, but, they are more of the 'drink and hang out' kind of joint. There are few with dance floors. My only gripe!
  8. And lastly the food. OH THE FOOD! It's cheap and is so.damn.good. Love the mee hijau the most.
Droool...

All in all, Kuching is awesome. I didn't forget to advertise I mean leave my mark at our lodge like other guests from all over the world did:

In case I'll be famous someday, I'm getting my royalties

I'm coming back again next year.

For the Rainforest Music Festival :D

7 comments:

Daniel Chiam said...

This place is awesome? haha is that the 1st B&B place or wrote it on another place? looks fun, and thanks for reminding me about the rainforest music festival :D missed it this year -_-

Amanda Christine Wong said...

yup, it actualy is....but if u stay lama2 i think u will feel its like keningau juga la kali...hehe...yup, that was written on the walls of the stairs going to the B&B...lets go next year! :D

CynthD said...

omg. i havent try the mee hijau. i seriously need to be a tourist in kuching =.=

Amanda Christine Wong said...

CynthD: hah! that's how the locals roll..ditto back at my place too...hehe

deeyah said...

hey manda... Next year wanna join u lar.. ehehe... tp while u go clubbing, i tido saje la... ehehhe :p

Amanda Christine Wong said...

let's go in july! :D

deeyah said...

well... kita plan budget dulu la... hehe :p