Thursday, June 4, 2009

It's a small world after all!


Our earth houses 6,784,297,840 humans, as confirmed by the U.S. Census Bureau at 09:54 GMT (EST+5) Jun 04, 2009.

Malaysia may be a speck of dust in the world map, but it has
a population of roughly 25,715,819 people, and has a total of 329,750 sq km of land. That's a lot of people. And a lot of land.

And as for Sabah, there are 2.66 mil people living on its 76, 115 sq km of terra.

By statistics, it's a huge place we're living in, yet it is a small world after all.

Here's my it's-a-small-world-after-all situations:

  • When I was in KL with my parents, in the heart of it, (Bukit Bintang, that is); we bumped into my parents' friends from Keningau.
  • Everyone I know who comes from Labuan seems to know each other. Every single one of them.
  • Five years ago, we had a new neighbour. I never knew them as I just got into IPTI. My coursemate, Amir, from KL, happens to be that new neighbour. And we've been sharing the same fence since.
  • I met my bestfriend Shanshan when I moved to SM Ken Hwa in 2001. Little did I know we were classmates during kindergraten in St. Francis Xavier. I didn't befriend her then.
  • One of my best buds, Kenn and I always compared and dissed each other's teacher's training college (he was in Maktab Kent, and I in IPTI). Two years later, we were on the same side, dissing IPTI.
  • When I was nine, I had a class nemesis. We were always beating each other for the first place in class. We hated each other, and I had made him cry. Nine years later, we bumped into each other. He immediately developed a crush on me.
  • If the world is small, then the cyber world is smaller. An unknown person added me on Friendster. I didn't know her then. Probably 'bout two years later then I realised, she's Ainon, also a primary school friend whom I haven't seen since I was ten.
  • But then again, maybe the world and the cyberworld are equally small. I have an MSN friend, whom I never met and I don't plan to. But I did see him in the real world. In UPM a couple of times and in my hometown's KFC. And he's from Tenom.
  • Jacqueline Joseph, Miss Unduk Ngadau Keningau 2009 is apparently related to me. Something like my great grandma are siblings with her grandma, and my grandma are cousins with her mother, and my mother are second cousins with her. Or something like that.
  • I bumped into a "sorta" junior of mine from IPG, Zach ("sorta" coz I was there for only a month). I never met him in my life. Or so I thought. Turns out we did met before. We were childhood friends and my mom would always bring me to his place/cousin's place. 'Cept that I barely played with them as I was always glued behind my mom's skirt. I was a really shy kid. No shitting.
So far, all these it's-a-small-world-after-all situations are pleasant, as your memory makes a jog way back when, and it's a delight to have that unexpected meeting. But of course, there's always that unwanted, awkward and sometimes painful bumping, or a relationship revelation that you'd like to never happen. For instance, finding out that your girlfriend of five years is your fourth cousin by blood. That actually happened to a friend of mine.

So yeah, it's a small world after all!



2 comments:

Asrih Arif said...

"When I was nine, I had a class nemesis. We were always beating each other for the first place in class. We hated each other, and I had made him cry. Nine years later, we bumped into each other. He immediately developed a crush on me."

Yakah? dia ada crush sama kau? hahahhaha OMG...

Amanda Christine Wong said...

adaa....u knew it ba tu kan asrih :P