Monday, May 25, 2009

The little things that matter: Dreams


Dream,n - a series of images, ideas, emotions and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.

I dream every night. About random things, about what I just did during the day, about my past and also about recurring events. Some people don't. Some people claim that dreaming makes them tired, like they have not actually slept. But I like dreaming. I like waking up in the morning, recalling the absurd events that I went through in my dreams - it's entertaining, mystifying, and sometimes downright disturbing.

I have recurring dreams, mostly. The events in my dreams most of the time takes place in a setting of my past, for example, my old house and my primary school. So if I get chased by terrorists or lions, it would be at the corridor of S.R.K St. Francis Xavier. I also always dream about my teeth falling off, which makes reality a paradise when I wake up. Besides that, I always dream of being in volcanic rage towards my parents which takes place in my old house. Freud suggest that bad dreams let the brain learn to gain control over emotions resulting from distressing experiences. So when I wake up, I still love them to death and casting out any disgruntled feelings towards them at the same time.

Have you ever dreamt that you hear your alarm ringing somewhere in the background as you are fighting aliens, when suddenly you realised, it is your alarm screaming for you to wake up in reality? According to a source in Wiki, dreams can link to actual sensations, such as the incorporation of environmmental sounds into dreams, just like the above.

I always have that dream, but I always, always have that dream where in the middle of a climaxical event of my dream, I need to pee and run to the nearest toilet (oddly, toilet cubicals are always there); but when I'm already squatting above the toilet bowl, I just can't, the glorious flow of liquid from my bladder just won't come out. So when I needed to pee so badly in my dream, I wake up. In reality, I am indeed in need to pee badly.

But today's pee dream is the weirdest.

Usually I'll just snap out of my dream and run for the toilet. In my dreams, I was half way pulling down my shorts but I find it difficult to do so, as if I'm lying on my back and trying to remove my shorts. Somehow someway something jolted me to reality and I opened my eyes and "WTF" escaped from my lips first thing in the morning. I was doing exactly what I was doing in my dreams.

Now that really creeped me out. The line between dreams and the real world, unconscious and lucidity was freakin' blur. It was really a close call. Or else I'd be blogging about a whole new different subject today; or I would've kept it as my deepest, darkest secret of all time.

4 comments:

deeyah said...

Manda... Don't sleep walking lagi lah...
kuat mengigau lagi u ni... aiyoo...

chegu carol said...

it is indeed creepy...the last part of ur dream.

SaM said...

good thing u didn't wet ur bed :P

Amanda Christine Wong said...

I know! damn...