Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bracing myself for a change


Literally, that is.

Since I was nine, my teeth architecture has always been a disaster. So when I was twelve, my mom brought me to the dentist to fix braces. However, being brought to a government hospital, I was put on the waiting list of the appointment with the dentist.

I was then called for my appointment. THREE years later.

Dentist said my teeth weren't that bad, so even if I wear braces, the change won't be that significant. But I still could wear it to at least make it look slightly better.

So it was time to decide. When I was twelve, it didn't matter to me if I wear braces or not. But I was approaching sixteen and boy, I was a conscious and insecure teenager. Plus I was going to another school after my PMR, and so I didn't want to be known as "the new girl with braces". I'd be taunted and, how am I suppose to get a boyfriend?

So I said no.

Eight years later, I regretted my folly teenage life changing decision. Suddenly everywhere I go, I see people wearing braces and they don't look as bad as I thought people wearing braces should. Like, suddenly, it is finally OK to wear braces - you won't get taunted and you still can hook up.

So now, I have decided that I want to wear braces. But I have only one factor that's hindering me from doing it. And it's not the pain, the inconvenience or the definite taunting.

My teeth will finally be toothpaste ad friendly, no doubt. But will I still look the same? Maybe prettier, maybe not; but will I still look me? That is what I'm afraid of. See, if I do do it, my upper lip will look less 'bee-stung'; and some people say that I might lose that very essence that makes me 'me'.

So, straight, nice teeth but makes me look totally different; or buck and crooked teeth but forever looking like me?

Decisions, decisions.

9 comments:

deeyah said...

I think, u don't need it... Like what u said... u r goin to lose the very essence that makes u - AMANDA!!!! hehe

MeMeR said...

I dont know gal, you should decide for yourself. I think no matter what, at the end of the day, it is who you really are that matters

chegu carol said...

whoaa...i am contemplating the same thing also lah...this unwanted 'fang' of mine is killing my sweet smile...hahaha..

Amanda Christine Wong said...

deeyah: u think so? waa...i cant decide! but if i do do it, i'll do it after posting....scary.

memer: so u saying i should do it then? hm...

carol: carol! but thats what probably make it sweeter..hehe

MeMeR said...

Just do it!!!lol

Jessie Yong said...

I think you look gorgeous with your teeth like this, seriously! It makes your smile very sincere (even when sometimes u r faking d smile). My opinion is, no. hehe

Amanda Christine Wong said...

waa...i love uuu...

Asrih Arif said...

Do what ever u want manda... I like u not because of ur teeth but I like u because of YOU...

Amanda Christine Wong said...

so if my gigi buruk u'll still like me la kan...hee...i love u too asrih!